City of Austin Programs
Visit the City of Austin’s tables (at the entrance to the Escarpment Trail) to learn how to design and grow healthy, beautiful landscapes and gardens - including plant selection, least-toxic pest management, caring for trees and plants during a drought, time and money- saving tips, and more!
Visit www.growgreen.org for information on the City’s educational materials, classes, contests, and other activities available to homeowners, professionals, neighborhoods, schools, and community organizations.
We’ll also have fun activities for the kids in Kids’ Corner in the Rose Garden and near the “Faerie Homes” on the Escarpment Trail. Join us to learn about plants and wildlife, take an up-close look at ladybugs, and participate in crafts you can take home, such as potting a flower and creating flower decorations out of recycled materials!
Check out these City programs at the festival—
- Air Quality Supports regional efforts for healthier air
- Austin Grows Helps develop a local food-growing system, including community gardens
- City Arborist Program Promotes the benefits of trees throughout the community
- Green Building Encourages Central Texans to design and construct more sustainable homes and buildings, including more earth-friendly landscapes.
- Grow Green Comprehensive guide to earth-friendly and sustainable landscaping practices
- Household Hazardous Waste Facility accepts landscaping chemicals and other hazardous materials for safe disposal
- Integrated Pest Management Guidance for least-toxic management of landscape pests
- Park Rangers
Provides educational services, safety, and security, and helps foster stewardship of the natural world
- Pollution Prevention 24-hour/7-day Telephone Hotline for citizen’s water pollution concerns
- Recycled Reads Sells used books and media and creates decorative and functional items from unwanted paper and plastic
- Sustainability Provides leadership and coordination for local sustainability and climate action initiatives
- Urban Forestry Plants, replaces, and maintains trees in parks, along streets, and in other public areas
- Water Conservation Water-saving tips and money-saving rebates for Austin homes and businesses
- Watershed Protection Youth Education Provides school outreach, field trips, curriculum and service-learning opportunities
- Wildlife Austin Helps sustain a well-balanced and healthy urban environment for people and wildlife