Area Garden Council
Garden Council is composed of 31 clubs representing
approximately 1500 members. On this site you can find:
Area Garden Council (AAGC) marks its beginnings many
years ago with a desire and a need for a building to
serve as a focal point for the several organizations
in the Austin area. In 1946 the Violet Crown Garden
Club, Inc. set aside $50 to initiate a building project.
The club immediately organized and sponsored fund-raising
events to add to the initial donation.
Mrs. W. Bradfield
is credited by many as being the first person to approach
the city with the request for city-owned land to be
designated as a building site. Mrs. Alden Davis continued
the quest and in 1955, when the City of Austin accepted
the idea, a governing group was needed for the entire
project. Several different names were used but the term
"Austin Area Garden Council" was settled on,
and on January 31, 1956, the group held its first meeting,
represented by five clubs. Today, the Council represents
the membership of more than 30 clubs with approximately 1700 members.
The purpose of the organization was to "promote
the education of citizens in the art of gardening for
the beautification of homes and countryside". Today,
the Council, in concert with the City Parks and Recreation
Department sponsors many events throughout the year, including the largest flower
show in the area and Zilker Garden Festival. See the calendar for details on events.