Area Garden Council
Garden Council is composed of nearly 40 clubs representing
over 2,000 members. On this site you can find:
Area Garden Council (AAGC) marks its beginnings many
years ago with a desire and a need for a building to
serve as a focal point for the several organizations
in the Austin area. In 1946 the Violet Crown Garden
Club, Inc. set aside $50 to initiate a building project.
The club immediately organized and sponsored fund-raising
events to add to the initial donation.
Bradfield is credited by many as being the first
person to approach the city with the request for
city-owned land to be designated as a building site.
Mrs. Alden Davis continued the quest and in 1955,
when the City of Austin accepted the idea, a governing
group was needed for the entire project. Several
different names were used but the term
"Austin Area Garden Council" was settled
on, and on January 31, 1956, the group held its first
meeting, represented by five clubs. Today, the Council
represents the membership of nearly 40 clubs with
over 2,000 members. The purpose of the organization
was to "promote
the education of citizens in the art of gardening
for the beautification of homes and countryside".
Today, the Council, in concert with the City Parks
and Recreation Department sponsors the annual Christmas
celebration, Yule Fest, and in the spring sponsors
the largest flower show in the area.